help requested for stitching the history of 3 VCSes

James Henstridge james at jamesh.id.au
Fri May 9 02:23:26 BST 2008

2008/5/4 James Henstridge <james at jamesh.id.au>:
> On 03/05/2008, Jeff <web.kiddo at free.fr> wrote:
>  > This time, I got:
>  >
>  >  bzr: ERROR: Reserved revision-id {null:}
>  >  What did I do wrong?
>
>  You are running "bzr replay -r0..", when you should be replaying from
>  the revision after where the branches are identical.  So if r1 of your
>  SVN branch has identical contents to the final revision of your CVS
>  history, run "bzr replay -r2.. svnbranch".

Hi Jeff,

Have you had much luck so far?  I took a quick look at your Subversion
branch, and it appears that you didn't do a straight import of the CVS
tree, which would be a problem as far as stitching things together.

If you still want to attempt this, perhaps the answer is to do the following:
1. pick a revision from SVN where you've finished checking in all the
old code you wanted to keep.
2. In a copy of your CVS imported branch, make a commit that performs
the same changes (i.e. removes unneeded files, moves other files into
place, perhaps some file content changes).
3. Now that you have some matching revisions, do "bzr replay" as
discussed previously.

James.