No subject

Tue Apr 29 15:47:36 BST 2008

original the revisions still exist somewhere.  But if they aren't going t=
o be
used anymore, that's a bit irrelevant.

>  > > This is a genuine, important problem, but if you identify it as
>  > > "throwing away history" then you probably are eliminating a large
>  > > fraction of the possible ways to solve it.
>  >=20
>  > I hope the above makes it clear why we're considering it so.
>=20
> "Why" has always been clear.  However, Linus (and many others) clearly
> consider rebase to be a useful tool in *some* circumstances, and it
> has been added to bzr as plugin.  People will use it, so it's better
> to identify the problems with it correctly so they can use it
> judiciously.

Rebase is a tool, not an end in itself.  People don't rebase because they=
 like
typing =E2=80=9Crebase=E2=80=9D.  They do it because they want to =E2=80=9C=
clean up their commits=E2=80=9D for
neater log output, or for delivering a nicer series of patches to upstrea=
ms,
etc.  Rebasing is not the only, or even necessarily the best, way to achi=
eve
those goals.

-Andrew.