Is this possible?

Russel Winder russel.winder at concertant.com
Wed May 7 18:39:03 BST 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 17:02 +0000, Neil Martinsen-Burrell wrote:

> Not as far as I know.  I have done a similar thing with a single Subversion
> repository and a python script to filter a dump file which can then be reloaded
> to give the full history of that subdirectory (and everything that ever copied
> into it).  In fact, I did that before migrating myself to Bazaar so that I
> *could* have individual branches for each "project" (where project is a loose
> term for an academic who loves version control for grades, exams, papers,
> data-processing code, convenience scripts, etc.)

I thought it might be a thing a few people had done :-)

> > I am guessing that the answer is no but possibly, i.e. there is no
> > simple way of doing it, but one may be able to write a Python program to
> > filter the history and changesets from the origjnal branch so as to
> > build the required branch of the sub-tree.
> >
> > Or perhaps this is a sufficiently common thing that someone already has
> > the program?
>
> Try the ``bzr split`` command.  Judging by the help, it does what you want.
> But, I'm not sure how it scales with respect to the history of the other parts
> of the branch.  Others here will know more accurately.  (Or search the mailing
> list archives, split comes up with some regularity.)

I tried bzr split but I got:

|> bzr split .
bzr: ERROR: To use this feature you must upgrade your branch at
file:///home/users/russel/Repositories/Bazaar/Checkouts/TEMP/.

however:

|> bzr upgrade
bzr: ERROR: The branch format Bazaar-NG meta directory, format 1 is
already at the most recent format.

I guess there is an inconsistency somewhere :-(

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                 Partner

Concertant LLP                   t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,              f: +44 8700 516 084
London SW11 1EN, UK.             m: +44 7770 465 077