new teams/ppas for Bazaar packaging

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Fri May 2 06:23:15 BST 2008

We use Launchpad PPAs to publish Ubuntu packages of Bazaar.  These
archives are 'personal' in the sense that they are bound to and named
identically with a person or team.

At the moment all our releases go into ~bzr.  I propose to create a
couple more teams with associated PPAs.

 ~bzr-beta-ppa will hold release candidates and similar
not-quite-released things.
 ~bzr-snapshot-ppa will hold packages built for example from trunk
every night.  I'm not actually going to do this now but thought I
would describe it at least.

This does a couple of things.  People who want to use only final
released versions, or who want to test release candidates, can now get
whichever suits.  And it gives us a bit better way to cope with delays
between release or packaging of dependent plugins, because they can
just be copied into the final released ppa when everything's
consistent.

PPAs send mail to all members of the team when various events occur.
I hadn't realized this when I started.  Since not everyone in ~bzr
will be interested in packaging I'm not going to add ~bzr to these
teams.  I'm happy to add as many people as are interested though.

Also, I read that Ubuntu Edgy is now out of support so I'm going to
stop packaging for it.  Dapper remains supported.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>