query: purpose of branch-name file?

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Thu May 1 05:18:21 BST 2008

cmd_branch creates a 'branch-name' control file, as does some other
initialization code::

            if to_location is None:
                to_location = urlutils.derive_to_location(from_location)
                name = None
            else:
                name = os.path.basename(to_location) + '\n'
            if name:
                branch.control_files.put_utf8('branch-name', name)

At minimum, creating the file from the command level regardless of the
format is not clean.  But looking into it, I can't see that this file is
_ever_ read back.  What's it meant to be for?  Can we just delete it?

--
Martin