bazaar performance with single large project and a comparison with?git / mercurial

Teemu Likonen tlikonen at iki.fi
Sun Apr 27 19:30:42 BST 2008

Torsten Bronger wrote (2008-04-24 15:26 +0200):

> The unfortunate thing here is not so much Bazaar's performance per se
> in my option.  Before Git, nobody really cared about benchmarking
> VCS'es.  Well, at least this has become *much* more popular since
> then.  Fact is that even Bazaar is fast enough for >90% of the
> projects out there.
>
> However, its performance is problematic nevertheless because it makes
> advocacy more difficult.  People tend to look at the Big Projects when
> they choose between VCS'es.

I don't know about history but now it seems that benchmarks are for two
things:

 - Selling the product. Bazaar, Git and Mercurial all have notions of
   performance on their own web sites. According to the web sites
   they're all really fast VCSes. Some quotes: "See our impressive
   benchmark results"; "faster than most other version control systems";
   "Extremely high-performance".

 - Help choosing suitable/best version control for use. It's easy to
   understand why people look at benchmarks and big projects. It's nice
   to know that tool have been extensively tested by some well-known and
   appreciated project. "If they can trust this, so can I."