bazaar performance with single large project and a comparison with?git / mercurial

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Apr 25 13:29:32 BST 2008

Talden wrote:
>>  The unfortunate thing here is not so much Bazaar's performance per
>>  se in my option.  Before Git, nobody really cared about benchmarking
>>  VCS'es.  Well, at least this has become *much* more popular since
>>  then.  Fact is that even Bazaar is fast enough for >90% of the
>>  projects out there.
>>

> We were benchmarking before we were even aware of the impressive
> performance of git.  CVS is painfully slow and although not the only
> significant motivator for migrating away it certainly is one of the
> major ones.
>
> Bazaar resolves so many of the other issues we've had with CVS (and
> admittedly introduces a few caveats) that we're currently banking on
> Bazaars performance improving.

Note that there is a benchmarking tool for bzr vs other vcs (git and hg
are supported for sure), and it is extremely easy to use (it took me 5
minutes the first time)

http://people.ubuntu.com/~ianc/plugins/usertest/doc/usertest-tutorial.html

Unfortunately, it only tests performances wrt to "working tree size", by
which I mean it will give you a good idea of the relative performances
and scalability wrt number of files/size of files in your repository,
but it does not give any indication about the scalability wrt the
history size (which is, with network operations, the main problems of
bzr performances I guess).

It would be great to update this package to test revision, actually :)

cheers,

David