why does bazaar not add a file automatically on the first commit

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Apr 23 03:20:15 BST 2008

>> It completely violates the principle of
>>  "No Surprises".
>
> We've always automatically removed missing files from commit.  I
> believe we've agreed that it would be more consistent not to do this
> automatically unless an option is given.  It makes sense to add this
> at the same time as auto-add.

Hmm, I seem to have seem different but maybe I'm dreaming.

> But unless I'm misunderstanding you, you should not have lost any work
> this way - just an uncommit and revert on those files will get them
> back.

In this particular case, I haven't "lost" anything since all of
the files are generated files, so it's easy for me to restore
them.  But I had a sort of embarassing moment with what one could
loosely call a "customer" when I told them something was there
which wasn't, because I hadn't noticed they vanished.  In this
case no major harm, customer is internal; however a few revs
passed before someone noticed so uncommit-revert is also "too late".
A colleague suggested that tools-using-bzr might like the current
"bzr rm on commit" behavior better so I'm not sure quite what to
say; as a command-line user I don't like it.