why does bazaar not add a file automatically on the first commit

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 17:30:18 BST 2008

I find myself repeating this cycle so often that I wonder there isn't
a combined command / option.

#made a new file foo.cfg
bzr commit ~/foo.cfg
bzr: ERROR: Path(s) are not versioned: ~/foo.cfg
bzr add ~/foo.cfg
bzr commit ~/foo.cfg

If a user requests a commit and the file is not being tracked why
doesn't bazaar automatically add it  rather than complain? If the user
demanded a commit it is reasonable to assume he wants that file added?
Perhaps with some option --force etc. Is that a feature  / bug? Maybe
there's some subtlety I am not aware of! Just curious!

I must mention that I've a .bzrignore set to * since I'm using it to
version scattered scripts and config files across my system.

--
Rahul