branch: Repository KnitPackRepository is not compatible with repository KnitRepository

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue Apr 22 06:57:18 BST 2008

John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
> > John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> writes:
> >> Actually, the format was not listed by 'bzr help init-repo' it
> >> was a hidden format that the user would have to have other
> >> knowledge to even know that it existed.
> >
> > That "other knowledge" came in <URL:irc://chat.freenode.net/#bzr>
>
> Well, my IRC log talks about it at the end of February:

That's when I discussed the problems that (I later learned) are caused
by the  repository format. The conversion to that format was done much
earlier; around a year ago (early 2007).

> I probably have some gaps in my IRC coverage, but I don't find
> anyone recommending that you upgrade to --rich-root-pack or
> --dirstate-subtree since the beginning of 2007.

I don't have the reference either. I know only that it was a
recommendation that I upgrade the repository to the format
'dirstate-with-subtree' (judging by the format name the repository has
reported recently).

My assumption at the time was that if Bazaar supported it and
successfully converted to it, then the format would at least not be a
dead-end. That assumption proved unfounded.

--
 \       "Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."  -- |
  `\                                                  Igor Stravinskey |