[ANNOUNCE] vc bundle v0.41 -- version control for TeX and friends

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Thu Apr 17 13:25:46 BST 2008

Neil Martinsen-Burrell schrieb:
> Stephan Hennig <mailing_list <at> arcor.de> writes:
>
>> The vc bundle
>> -----------------------------------
>
> A minor nit:  in Appendix C, question 10, you suggest creating .bzrignore with
> the contents vc.tex to ignore the generated vc.tex file.  It is marginally
> simpler to use the command ``bzr ignore vc.tex`` to add vc.tex automatically to
> .bzrignore, create it if necessary and add it to version control if necessary.

Thanks for the pointer (which is missing in
doc/en/user-guide/index.html#ignoring-files)!

I've changed the description to

> Bazaar In the directory containing the script files issue the following commands
> on the command line:
> bzr ignore vc.tex
> bzr commit
> This creates a file .bzrignore that contains ignore patterns and automatically
> puts that file under version control.

> I've been doing the same thing using a Bazaar plugin to generate a TeX file that
> I then \input into my documents.  As a one-liner, that is:
>
> bzr version-info --custom --template="\\\newcommand{\\BZRDate}{{date}}
> \\\newcommand{\\BZRRevId}{{revision_id}}
> \\\newcommand{\\BZRRevno}{{revno}}
> \\\newcommand{\\BZRNick}{{branch_nick}}" > vc.tex
>
> I don't know if that simplifies the Awk-work, but it's been working for me.  (I
> prefer it as a plugin so I can do ``bzr version-info --latex > bzr.tex``)
> The plugin is given below (save as __init__.py in
> ~/.bazaar/plugins/latex_version_info).

Thanks you!  I'll look into that to see if I can make use of that.

Aside, the vc bundle started out as an alternative to the
LaTeX-Subversion packages that have problems tracking non-.tex files.
When I started to learn about Bazaar and Git I realized that the same
approach can easily be adapted to support those tools, too.  But this is
not yet matured, since I'm still learning.

Removing the awk dependency is already on the to-do list.  The template
approach seems promising.  Thanks again!

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig