[PREVIEW] line-endings support

Aaron Bentley aaron at aaronbentley.com
Wed Apr 16 15:17:19 BST 2008

Martin Pool wrote:
> If we specify these things as globs rather than as per-file properties we
> avoid some scaling problems of having O(n) lists.

If the properties are stored with the files (e.g. as part of the
inventory entry), we have no (new) scaling problems.

> Even quite large trees
> are likely to have modest numbers of different rules.

Large trees are likely to have exceptions to their rules, however.

> One straightforward way to put this into the branch is to have it
> controlled by a dot file in the tree, as Alexander has currently done.
> Having it in there does have shortcomings but it really is pretty nice to
> have conflicts and merges in the standard way.

There are some problems with this.

It introduces a fourth location where configuration data may be stored.
 This will cause further confusion.

Many config values are not suited for propagation like this.  Since
merges will propagate these values, only settings that are true in all
branches that will merge this one should be stored here.

Properties that are not universally true:
- - aliases
- - submit_address
- - check_signatures
- - email
- - editor
- - gpg_signing_command
- - bzr_remote_path
- - smtp_server
- - smtp_username
- - smtp_password
- - mail_client
- - submit_branch
- - public_branch
- - append_revisions_only
- - parent_location
- - push_location
- - bound_location
- - bound

Properties that may be universally true:
- - create_signatures

(I can imagine a project might insist on having all revisions be signed)

> There is the potential for security problems if arbitrary settings can be
> controlled from the branch

The potential problem already existed for branch.conf, and has been
addressed by using get_safe_value for security-critical config values
like gpg_signing_command.

> But it could be useful for more than just eol filters,
> like setting a submission address.

Given source tree foo with branch bar, I can easily imagine foo and bar
wanting different submission addresses and also wanting to merge one
another.  That would make the submission address change unexpectedly and
undesirably.

Aaron