Working tree content filtering & a proposed plan for eol support

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Wed Apr 16 14:03:29 BST 2008

Ian Clatworthy пишет:
> I'm planning to put up a branch/patch that supports a stack of working
> tree content filters. Eol-handling will be an instance of a content
> filter.
> If and when a content-filter-aware workingtree format lands, we can drop
> the need for the magic config setting and make this (awesome) feature
> available to the masses. Otherwise we document the magic config setting
> and warn people loudly in the User Guide about the potential mess they
> can make (e.g. accidentally committing the full content of all text
> files multiple times, screwing up merges, etc.) if they aren't careful.
>
> I hope this plan provides a way forward. Does it sound OK to everyone?

There is one tiny important detail.

If you're using branch.conf or whatever for controlling eol behavior
you should consider how to do with historical data. Because without
versioned properties committed with files you never know what settings
should be applied to revision tree content. Is it should be filtered as well?
If not, then why? If yes, then why?