problem with .bzrignore using regular expressions

Björn Brodersen bjoern.olov.brodersen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 16:54:51 BST 2008

Hello to the bazaar list!

In migrating my personal version control from mercurial to bazaar I ran
into some problems with using regular expressions for the .bzrignore file.

Consider the following test case:

Directory structure:

lib/32/not_ignored.a
lib/64/not_ignored.a
lib/to_ignore.a

Using the attached bazaar ignore file the files under 32/ and 64/
subdirectory are ignored whereas using the same regular expression for
mercurial (attached .hgignore file) the regexp work like expected.

Maybe this output of "bzr ignored" can help:

.hg                                                RE:^.hg
.hgignore                                          .hgignore
lib/32/not_ignored.a                               *.a
lib/64/not_ignored.a                               *.a
lib/to_ignore.a                                    *.a

Seems that the bazaar regexp leeds to ignoring all *.a files...

Anyone some ideas?

Greetings and thanks in advance

Björn Brodersen