Bazaar fails with http transport on some servers

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Apr 15 00:19:04 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 19:07 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Robert Collins wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 15:17 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> >> I think Bazaar needs to accept a wide range of failures when determining
> >> whether the smart server is supported.  At least 403, 404, 405, 410.
> >> Possibly 500, 501, 503 as well (i.e. fallback to dumb operations if the
> >> smart server is broken).   But when doing normal operations, it should
> >> not use this broader list.
> >
> > Full ack. 403 is ok-but-strange here.
> >
> > bb:approve on the original patch, though a test would be ideal.
>
> The original patch looked like it treated 403 like 404, and that seems
> overbroad in the general case.

I believe it changes 403 from raising an exception to letting the caller
decide whether to raise, or to ignore the error.

Hmm, you're right, its probably overbroad, depending on whether missing
files are checked for via error == 404, or errror != 200.

Thomas, did the test suite pass with that change made?

-Rob