[MERGE] line-endings support: part 1 of 2: versioned properties

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Apr 14 18:07:22 BST 2008

> implement new working/revision tree format, nor new repository format.
> So I just use for storage the .bzrprop file in working tree and leave
> all other stuff on existing bzrlib code.  Therefore my implementation
> works with any workingtree/revisiontree formats (WT2, 3 and 4) and
> entirely optional for the most of bzr code.  But it will be heavily
> used by actual line-endings support.

I think this is a very good choice.  But I wonder if .bzrprop is the
best choice.  More specifically, why not store it within .bzr ?
I think a similar approach should be taken for tags (i.e. keep them in
a plain version controlled file) but keep them within the
.bzr directory.

Would it be terribly problematic to have version controlled files within
.bzr?  Arch did that and it seemed quaint at first, but it turned out to
work very well (at least for me, as a user).

        Stefan

PS: similarly, .bzrignore could/should be moved into .bzr.