[PREVIEW] line-endings support

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sun Apr 13 12:12:56 BST 2008

Hi Alexander,

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 09:20:00PM +0300, Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> My branch with eol support is ready for review and testing with real data.
> This work started 3 weeks ago after 1.3 release. I don't merged latest bzr.dev
> changes.
First of all, thanks very much for working on this. I think it would
be a very nice addition for Bazaar and key in supporting projects that
work on multiple platforms.

> Used simple file properties implementation does not require format upgrade
> and eol support will work with any working tree format (WT2, 3 and 4).

> To start using eol support you need set 'eol' property for some files
> or file mask, e.g.:

> $ bzr prop-set *.txt eol native
> $ bzr prop-set *.py eol LF
> $ bzr prop-set binary.file eol exact
File properties should imho be an implementation detail rather than
something that's exposed to the user. I think this is one of the
things that Subversion got wrong. It's fine for a "bzr prop-set"
command to exist, but it should be there for debugging purposes rather
than as the UI you use on a daily basis.

Instead, I'd like to see us have a separate command for changing the
line ending policy on files, e.g.

$ bzr eol-style "*.txt" native
$ bzr eol-style "binary.file exact
$ bzr eol-style "*.txt"