best way to use bazaar on windows

Dave Compton to.dave.c at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 00:06:44 BST 2008

Hi Rahul,

I've been using bazaar on windows for about a month now and so far am
happy with it.  The environment I use is probably not the *best* way but
it works reasonably well and may be of interest to you (particularly
since you work in linux).

I use bazaar from the command line and the command line is a cygwin bash
shell.  I almost never use the windows xp "cmd shell".  Using cygwin
allows me to use *exactly* the same init scripts on windows and linux
(with some conditionals inside the script) for command line work.  I
keep these version controlled in bazaar.

The cygwin environment also comes with a version of bzr.  However, this
version of bzr has problems (attributed to a cygwin bug) so I don't use
it.  Here's  a launchpad bug report regarding this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/181855 .  Instead, I am used the
windows installer to install a native (non-cygwin) version of bzr.  To
make sure I get the native version instead of the cygwin version, I
wrote a trivial script:
#! /bin/bash
"C:/Program Files/Bazaar/bzr.exe" "$@"
and put it in a windows only part of my $PATH: $HOME/bin/windows

So far it's been working well.

- Dave