[MERGE] Add a plugin-api.txt developer document starting to description services for/from plugins.

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Fri Apr 4 06:15:59 BST 2008

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Robert Collins
<robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
>  I've replaced the motivation section as you request, however I would
>  much rather be consistent with other docs than change layout style
>  again.

Reading it again I think the main thing missing was a statement of the
status of this document: proposed/approved/implemented/etc.  Since you
moved in the motivation this is more clear.

>  ..
>  >    As for other Python modules, the name of the directory must match the
>  >    expected name of the plugin.
>  >
>  > I guess they normally do have a setup.py, though it's unclear to me that
>  > will interact well with people just putting a checkout under
>  > ~/.bazaar/plugins.

I don't know what I meant by this :)

>  Well, so could loading bzr_plugin_meta. It's very common to use the
>  versions we're exposing through this api in setup.py, I think forcing a
>  separate file will just be inconvenient for people.

On further consideration I think it's fine; it may shake out some bugs
but they'll be one-off events.

>  > Probably we should list the commands that are overridden.
>
>  I think that that is often going to be noise; if you feel strongly I'll
>  change this. Remember this is for allowing prediction of what plugin to
>  install to get a feature, knowing that 'status' is overriden isn't going
>  to help with that much.

Well, usually plugins will not override any commands, I would expect.
It might be useful to have that declared, but maybe yagni, or we could
add another variable later.

> and give an example (1, 1, 0, 'final', 0)
>
>  There are comprehensive examples at the end.The table text is already
>  dense enough I feel.

fine.

>  >  > +| bzr_repository_formats | {} As bzr_checkout_formats but for
>  > repositories. |
>  >  >
>  >
>  > Broken ReST here.
>
>  How so? make docs is not complaining...

It looked like you needed a bar after the {} to make the table format
line up, for example.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>