confused about bundles and "related directories"

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Thu Apr 3 09:16:46 BST 2008

I'm trying to create a bundle to send as a merge request, but I'm struggling
with some basic concepts.  I've checked all the docs I can find, but remain
stumped.

I followed the instructions at
http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/bzr.dev/en/developer-guide/HACKING.html#preparing-
a-sandbox-for-making-changes-to-bazaar - specifically:

% bzr branch http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/bzr.dev/ bzr.dev
% bzr branch bzr.dev bzr.work

I then make changes in bzr.work and commit them.  So I figure I'm ready to
create a bundle - but the output I get from 'bzr bundle' includes the line:

# target_branch: file:///C:/src/bazaar/bzr.dev/

Which I figure isn't that useful to people.  On #bzr, Aaron kindly informed
me I needed to put the public location in the merge directive, either by
specifying it, or by setting the "public_branch" config value on the local
copy.

Looking up help for the bundle command, I see:

| Usage:   bzr bundle-revisions [SUBMIT_BRANCH] [PUBLIC_BRANCH]
| The submit branch defaults to the parent, but can be overridden.

So I see I want to set PUBLIC_BRANCH, and it appears specifying the parent
for SUBMIT_BRANCH is the right thing to do.  So I execute:

bzr bundle file:///C:/src/bazaar/bzr.dev/ http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/bzr.dev/

But the output of that now includes the lines:

# target_branch: file:///C:/src/bazaar/bzr.dev/
# source_branch: http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/bzr.dev/

Which doesn't look correct - but 'bzr info' shows:

|Related branches:
|  public branch: http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/bzr.dev/
|  parent branch: C:/src/bazaar/bzr.dev
|  submit branch: C:/src/bazaar/bzr.dev

Which *does* look correct - at least the "public_branch" setting.  So I ask
again on #bzr, where Aaron tells me that my bundles should *not* have a
source_branch - but that is the only place the public branch is listed.  I
tried a number of other things and read all the relevant docs I could find,
but I'm still unsure how I should create a bundle from that work directory.

Thanks,

Mark