my strategy on implementing line-endings (eol) support

Talden talden at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 00:52:50 BST 2008

>  > > | 3) text files with native/LF/CRLF/CR line-endings
>
>  Actually, I've never understood (3) - which is also apparently what subversion does.
>  To my mind, a text file either has EOL left alone (ie, "exact") or has EOL style set
> to native (where line ends are transformed).

At least one case comes to mind - A build process, executed on windows
and  containing *nix shell scripts in the distribution (and possibly
edited by devs on either platform), needs to enforce shell scripts as
LF not CRLF or the distribution will be incorrect.

So the VCS protects the distribution by ensuring that, at commit, EOLs
are normalises and checks out to LF regardless of platform.

--
Talden