Fix a botched log-message

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at frii.com
Wed Apr 2 17:14:36 BST 2008

Martin Pool wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 6:53 PM, Stefan Monnier <monnier at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>
>>  There should at least be some way to add post-facto annotations of
>>  some sort.
>>
>>  As for the immutability of History, I happen not to agree with it:
>>  History (in contrast to the *past*) is very much mutable and even varies
>>  with the point of view.
>
> We have talked about having a versioned file that gives the
> "corrected" messages or other information about past commits.  It
> probably solves the common case of wanting to correct a long-past
> commit, and it does not complicate the model or introduce different
> versions of past history, or mean that history is massively duplicated
> by rebasing.
>
> This would be moderately easy to prototype as a plugin that decorates
> the repository to return different revision messages...

There are cases where this is not good enough.  The sexually
harassing commit message example I gave in another response
is one example.  Another (discussed on the Mercurial list) is
the case where tainted (patent, copyright, secret, or such)
material is committed but not discovered until much later.
The fact that the horse is out of the barn does not reduce
the repo's owner's obligation to not continue to distribute
the tainted material -- it has to be physically removed from
the repo.  This is an issue for the BSD project according to
ttp://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.mercurial.general/6036/match=obliterate+functionality

Tainted material and many VCS' inability to remove it was
noted as a possible denial-of-service attack on VCS systems
back in at least 2004 (David Wheeler attributes the term
"encumbrance pollution attack" to Dr. Carsten Bormann,
http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/scm-security.html)