RFC: TortoiseBzr strategies

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 11:21:16 BST 2008

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 3:13 AM, Talden <talden at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I'd say my use is split 80/20 in favour of the commandline - sometimes
>  it's easier and quicker to just click through some of the easy
>  right-click behaviours one after another than it is to script
>  something or use the commandline directly.  Despite this I could

Yeah, but the existing GUI's already solve 95% of what shell
integration provides. Explorer overlays are just a glorified version
of "bzr qdiff" or "bzr status", and I'm hesitant to even call it
"glorified", since for many purposes it's inferior (you can't see the
status of the whole tree at a glance).

>  The real issue for me (and I suspect others trying to get acceptance
>  in their teams) is that I have zero chance of getting Bazaar approved
>  without either IDE or shell integration - 'Management' see shell
>  integration as a poor-mans alternative to, yet acceptable, IDE
>  integration.

Still, there is the option of trivial shell integration that can be
done with a couple of registry keys. If we have 'bzr' menu in explorer
that has commands to launch "bzr qcommit", "bzr qlog" and "bzr qdiff"
(from qbzr) on file/folder, the managers and basic users will think of
it as shell integration (albeit of the kind that won't
crash/bloat/slow down the explorer - for example, my exprorer.exe
stopped crashing randomly after I uninstalled tortoiseSVN, inspired my
Mark Hammond's original post that exposed all the dirty details about
what is going on behind the scenes ;-).

>  Though I don't expect to see strong IDE integration before the point
>  in time at which I need to have selected and implemented an approved
>  tool, I am hopeful to see enough progress on TortoiseBZR to get some
>  leniency from 'Management' in selecting Bazaar.

I don't see why the similar kind of "trivial" integration could not be
done for eclipse as well. We don't need to provide native eclipse
GUI's for anything, just launch the same "bzr qdiff" & "bzr qlog"
commands from eclipse team menu.

"Do the simplest thing that could possibly work" and all that.