What constitutes the "identity" of a changeset?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Fri Mar 28 21:04:48 GMT 2008

Hi Paul,

On Fr, 2008-03-28 at 20:53 +0000, Paul Moore wrote:
> On 28/03/2008, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 28/03/2008, Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> wrote:
> >  > Can you provide some more details about this? Was the same conversion
> >  >  tool used in both cases? What version of bzr-svn? If you were pulling
> >  >  from two svn repositories with the same UUID, this would be a serious
> >  >  bzr-svn bug.
> >
> >  I doubt very much that this was a bzr-svn bug. However, if I do get a
> >  chance, I'll try to reproduce what I did and see if I can get the same
> >  message. If I do, I'll let you know and you can tell me what I did
> >  wrong :-)
>
> I just remembered what I did, and tried it again with the same result.
>
> I have a svn repository at http://lua4nt.googlecode.com/svn/trunk and
> a local svncloned mirror at C:\SVN\lua4nt\trunk. If I do a partial
> branch from the clone
>
> bzr branch -r 5 file:///C:/SVN/lua4nt/trunk
>
> and then go into the branch and try to pull from the remote repository
>
> bzr pull http://lua4nt.googlecode.com/svn/trunk
>
> I get the error
>
> http://lua4nt.googlecode.com/svn/trunk is permanently redirected to
> http://lua4nt.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
> Initialising Subversion metadata cache in C:/Documents and
> Settings/Gustav/Application
> Data/bazaar/2.0\svn-cache\3b297215-a52e-0410-8a18-b5b094911f1d
> bzr: ERROR: These branches have diverged. Use the merge command to
> reconcile them.
>
> It seems to me that all this is saying is that bzr-svn cannot tell
> that the local mirror and the remote repository are the same, and so
> cannot match up the revisions. This is a shame, because it means I
> can't create a bzr mirror starting from a local clone (for speed) and
> then switch to a remote pull (to allow me to drop the local svn
> mirror). But it's not a bug, unless Bazaar's concept of revision
> identity *makes* it a bug...
bzr-svn uses the SVN repository UUID to identify revisions. It should
be able to handle that situation just fine if both locations contain the
same repository and works without problems for me pulling from different
locations.

How did you create the local clone exactly? It sounds like it's not
really a clone (different uuid perhaps?). Can you run "svn info" on the
remote and local URLs and see if the UUID is different?

Cheers,

Jelmer

Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org