sudo and bzr: workflow for managing config files

Marius Kruger amanic at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 04:42:53 GMT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 7:56 AM, Brian Shacklett <
bshacklett at digital-traffic.net> wrote:

> I've just started using Bazaar to manage config files on my linux box.
> One thing that bothers me, though, is that all of my commits show up as
> root at domain.tld. Now, this isn't a huge issue at this point because I'm
> the only admin on the server. If I ever go to use this in full
> production, though, it would have to be solved.

do you know about the bzr whoami command?

before you do a commit (while logged in as the user you are going to commit
with and also using sudo if thats how you are going to commit)
you can check it:
bzr whoami
and if its wrong you can set it:
bzr whoami "Brian Shacklett <bshacklett at digital-traffic.net>"

if I do
sudo bzr whoami
I get my normal users' id (and my commits have my user's id for the
committer)

but if I su and then
bzr whoami
I get my root user's Id

regards
marius

--
bazaar-vcs.org
Because I don't trust Version Control Systems with less than 9705 unit