Traction on case insensitivity on windows.

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at frii.com
Tue Mar 25 06:38:23 GMT 2008

Alexander Belchenko wrote:
>[...]
> But looking at the situation around windows support closely one could
> see that there seems to be only 2 developers working on windows support:
> Mark Hammond and Alexander Belchenko.
>
> IIUC, Mark Hammond currently working on TortoiseBzr.
>
> Alexander Belchenko working on bzr in his own free time, and he has very
> small
> amount of free time besides his regular job and his family. Currently he's
> working on simple implementation of line-endings support. Because this
> problem
> is one of 3 most wanted (other 2 is performance and nested tree support).
>[...]

I am very interested in Windows line ending support
(asked about it here a couple months ago) but am test
driving Mercurial now because of its lack in bzr.

There is a catch-22 problem here: many people who
want/need eol conversion support and who would thus
be motivated to help with it, never get started with
bzr because of its lack.

I know the prevailing attitude is to wait and "do it
right".  But perhaps it would be better to provide, as
a short-term, interim measure, some sort of hook hack
that would mostly work, and document that using it may
cause problems.  Then people like me would be more
inclined to start using bzr and subsequently contribute
to the right solution.

Yes, there is a chance that the hack solution will
become permanently entrenched, but against that is
the likelihood that many potential bzr users will
adopt other DVCS solutions in the long time, extended
by the lack of those same users, before the "right
way" is implemented in bzr.