sudo and bzr: workflow for managing config files

Brian Shacklett bshacklett at digital-traffic.net
Tue Mar 25 05:56:41 GMT 2008

I've just started using Bazaar to manage config files on my linux box.
One thing that bothers me, though, is that all of my commits show up as
root at domain.tld. Now, this isn't a huge issue at this point because I'm
the only admin on the server. If I ever go to use this in full
production, though, it would have to be solved.

Now, I know why it's happening. As with most systems, all of my config
files in /etc are owned by root:root. This means that a sudo is needed
to make changes. Unfortunately, that also makes bzr think that root is
the one that's doing the commit. The only solution I can think of is to
change ownership of all config files to an admin group, but I have
/serious/ hesitations doing something like that. Who knows what
developers have made assumptions (rightfully so) about the ownership of
all of those files.

Anyway, is there anyone else out there that's using bzr for versioning
config files? How did you get around this?

Thanks,
Brian