adding my entire home dir with a "bzr init ~/"

Doug Lee dgl at
Thu Mar 20 09:38:44 GMT 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 08:38:23PM -0400, Forest Bond wrote:
> I version control my home dir with bzr, and use it to push and pull those
> configs from various machines I use.  Works great!  Been doing it for a while,
> too.

My only addition is that I've started using Bazaar to version
scattered config files across an entire FreeBSD system.  This seems to
require a small adjustment to get the .bzr file where it needs to be,
and another to put the data elsewhere, but otherwise it seems to work

bzr init-repo --no-trees /var/bzr/cnf
bzr init /var/bzr/cnf/sysname
cd /
bzr co --lightweight /var/bzr/cnf/sysname
mv /sysname/.bzr /
rmdir /sysname
bzr add etc
bzr add usr/local/etc
bzr commit -m "/etc and /usr/local/etc versioning started."

Just don't type ``bzr add'' with no arguments, unless you're
stress-testing your system. :-)

Doug Lee                 dgl at
SSB BART Group           doug.lee at
"If you refuse to be made straight when you are green,
you will not be made straight when you are dry." {African}