Emacs repository benchmark: bzr and git

dhruva dhruvakm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 16:33:46 GMT 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 9:32 PM, Matthieu Moy <Matthieu.Moy at imag.fr> wrote:
> Teemu Likonen <tlikonen at iki.fi> writes:
>
>  > I just measured with 'time' command how long it takes to run certain
>  > commands.
>
>  Interesting benchmark, but what's missing is whether this is with hot
>  or cold cache. For example:
>

>  > $ time bzr log >/dev/null
>  > real    3m15.708s
>
>  I get a bit less than a minute here, and I don't think my machine is
>  4x faster than yours, so this was probably with cold cache.
>
>  An interesting measure is "best of 3" (run it 3 times, and take the
>  smallest).

dhruva at dhruva-lxp ~/stub/repo/bzr/emacs/trunk
$ time bzr log -l 10 > :NUL

real    0m30.562s
user    0m0.015s
sys     0m0.000s

dhruva at dhruva-lxp ~/stub/repo/bzr/emacs/trunk
$ time bzr log -l 10 > :NUL

real    0m34.250s
user    0m0.015s
sys     0m0.015s

dhruva at dhruva-lxp ~/stub/repo/bzr/emacs/trunk
$ time bzr log -l 10 > :NUL

real    0m33.391s
user    0m0.015s
sys     0m0.000s

dhruva at dhruva-lxp ~/stub/repo/bzr/emacs/trunk
$ time bzr log -l 10 --short > :NUL

real    0m19.828s
user    0m0.015s
sys     0m0.015s

dhruva at dhruva-lxp ~/stub/repo/bzr/emacs/trunk
$ time bzr log -l 10 --short > :NUL

real    0m19.390s
user    0m0.015s
sys     0m0.000s

dhruva at dhruva-lxp ~/stub/repo/bzr/emacs/trunk
$ time bzr log -l 10 --short > :NUL

real    0m18.421s
user    0m0.047s
sys     0m0.031s

dhruva at dhruva-lxp ~/stub/repo/bzr/emacs/trunk
$ time bzr log -l 10 --short > :NUL

real    0m18.375s
user    0m0.015s
sys     0m0.000s

Even with 3 runs, I do not see any noticeable change in performance. I
am running the tests on emacs repo. I am running all tests on M$-XP
box (lenovo T61 series with Intel Centrino Pro, 1Gb RAM).

How do I get rid of cache if I have to restart the tests? I plan to
analyze the '--lsprof' output to see if there is different code path
and the so called hot/cold cache making any difference.

-dhruva

--
Contents reflect my personal views only!