[MERGE] Add --no-pending to status to not show the pending merges. (#202830)

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Mar 16 23:06:35 GMT 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 15:23 +0000, James Westby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It was requested that there be an option to turn off the display
> of pending merges, as doing that is slow on large histories. This
> patch does that.
>
> It is just showing the summaries etc. that is slow, so it is possible
> that we could give some notification that there are pending merges
> still. Does anyone have an opinion on doing that? Even showing just
> the summaries of the tips of the merged branches would be pretty cheap,
> it's showing the rest of the revisions that you will be getting that
> is the slowest part.

I think its good to address user issues rapidly; but we should at least
attempt to do the correct long term fix before adding workarounds;
workarounds only fix the issue for some users and are really 'unbreakme'
options.

I think there are two things here.
1) Showing many revisions on huge merges will be very clumsy.
2) Its slower than it should be (duh).

For 1, I think we should file a bug for ui improvements.
For 2, please get a --lsprof-file trace and we can probably identify the
issue very rapidly.

-Rob