Bug? Unable to 'upgrade --rich-root-pack' for bzr.dev -r 1000

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sun Mar 16 12:05:28 GMT 2008

I was trying to test a plugin I wrote for upgrading a plugin pulling
data from another location. To test it with real data, I was trying to do:

bzr branch -r 1000 bzr.dev ../standalone/bzr-1000
cd ../standalone/bzr-1000
bzr upgrade --rich-root-pack

It fails with this error:
bzr: ERROR: Revision
{('mbp at sourcefrog.net-20050711054655-47ea25e1f75a8813',)} not present in
"<bzrlib.knit.KnitGraphIndex object at 0x8de3f4c>".
/home/jameinel/dev/bzr/bzr.dev/bzrlib/lockable_files.py:110:
UserWarning: file group
LockableFiles(<bzrlib.transport.local.LocalTransport
url=file:///home/jameinel/dev/%2Ctmp/bzr-1000/.bzr/repository.backup/>)
was not explicitly unlocked
  warn("file group %r was not explicitly unlocked" % self)

This has a couple problems

1) It leaves the real repository as .bzr/repository.backup but your
repository at .bzr/repository is basically empty (and thus broken)

It isn't hard to rename .bzr/repository.backup .bzr/repository, but you
have to know to do it, and it seems like on failure the upgrade command
should do it for you.

2) This was reproducible even after running "bzr reconcile". I'm trying
"bzr check" reports:
  1102 revisions
   206 file-ids
  1793 unique file texts
126493 repeated file texts
     0 unreferenced text versions
     2 ghost revisions
     2 revisions missing parents in ancestry

But otherwise doesn't give any indication that something would fail.

Is "upgrade --rich-root-pack" currently broken (maybe it is because of
ghosts?)

I don't see anything particularly interesting about:
895 mbp at sourcefrog.net-20050711054655-47ea25e1f75a8813

It doesn't have a ghost parent, the diff is basically a trivial change
to .bzrignore.

Any ideas?