Bazaar distributions

Russel Winder russel.winder at concertant.com
Thu Mar 13 07:12:58 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 11:12 -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> Wow, I didn't realize that.... Is this because of how PPA's work? Certainly I
> would have expected to be able to get archived versions of released .deb
> versions of Bazaar.

Thanks for chipping in, I am glad I am not the only person who feels
that there is a problem here.  Minor possibly but a problem nonetheless.

> Looking at:
> ~  https://launchpad.net/~bzr/+archive
> and
> ~  http://ppa.launchpad.net/bzr/ubuntu/pool/main/b/bzr/
>
> I only see bzr-1.2, and a bzrtools 1.1 for hardy. (Perhaps just because 1.2
> wasn't packaged for hardy yet?)

I think there is a management issue that not all the artefacts are being
updated in lock step.  This means a more flexible approach to artefacts
in the repository is required so that both Gutsy and Hardy are supported
sanely.  I don't think I am proposing a huge management overhead that
would be counter-productive, but I do think a bit more coordination and
protection for people using standard Gutsy but with bleeding edge Bazaar
is in order.

> Anyway, this seems like a severe limitation of PPAs if they don't allow
> maintaining an archive of old packages.
>
> At a minimum, I would want us to start mirroring the packages over to
> http://bazaar-vcs.org/releases/debs/*

Is this indicating that a slight change is process for the deb files and
a new sources.list repository would solve the problem?

> I'm actually pretty unhappy that the 1.1.deb files are not available anymore. Do
> we know if there is a way to get them back?

I agree very strongly that the loss of the 1.1 artefacts from the
multiverse is not good.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                 Partner

Concertant LLP                   t: +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,              f: +44 8700 516 084
London SW11 1EN, UK.             m: +44 7770 465 077