adding my entire home dir with a "bzr init ~/"

Matt Nordhoff mnordhoff at mattnordhoff.com
Thu Mar 13 00:39:15 GMT 2008

Rahul Nabar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This was my first foray into the world of versioning and I just started
> using Bazaar. I only needed a simple tool to get me rollback and
> tracking capabilities for various config and script files in my own
> directory structure on Linux (no multi-user collaborations, publishing
> or merges are expected)
>
> Bazaar seems to be easy to use and perfect for my needs. Unfortunately
> the files I need to version are scattered all over the various branches
> of my directory structure. I started with  a:
>
> bzr init ~/
>
> and now whenever I feel a file or directory deep inside my directory
> structure needs versioning I just do a:
> bzr add file1 etc.
>
> From reading the documentation I figure this is a somewhat unusual use
> (or isn't it?) in the sense that most people add only a specific small
> directory with a "bzr init" e.g.
>
> bzr init /dir1/dir2/project1 etc.
>
> Will my strategy of adding my whole, large (approx. 30GB ) "home"
> directory in the "bzr init" cause any problems? Just double checking
> before I run into any serious trouble later! Its just that the dir. I
> pass on to "bzr init" is huge; I will probably only be adding a few
> hundred small files to be versioned. (but I think Bazaar is dir aware;
> so will this be taxing it too far?) Sorry, if this is a pretty naive
> query; I'm somewhat new to the world of versioning.
>
> -Rahul

I think it's a great idea. It's very useful to be able to version all of
your random files.

Don't put your email or IRC logs or MP3s in it though...

You could also set bzr to ignore everything except what you explicitly
add to make "bzr st" faster.

Something like:

$ cd
$ echo '*' >>.bzrignore
$ bzr add .bzrignore
$ bzr commit -m "Ignoring everything" .bzrignore

That's a pain if you want to version all of the files in a directory
though...