Global shared repositories

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 18:44:11 GMT 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 4:56 PM, John Arbash Meinel
<john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:

>  There are things you could do, but you have to be careful not to introduce a
>  performance degradation when doing so. Using the hash from the first revision
>  seems like it would work, but then you have to always go back to the first
>  revision to find out the hash. Either that, or every revision descended from it
>  would somehow have to keep a reference that it came from this "first rev".

Luckily this only needs to be done once / operation. That is, if you
pull 1000 revisions, you only look up the first revision once and use
the information to quickly find all of the 1000 revisions from a
potentially huge shared repo, with thousands of projects (ok,
exaggerated scenario here). Moreover, a bzr server can cache a dict of
first revision hashes per-branch. If that information goes stale, you
only get the performance hit, not faulty functionality.

>  It also gets more complex when you start merging histories together. (There are
>  several plugins which started separately and then merged into bzr.dev, giving us
>  about 4 or 5 "first revisions".)

Yeah, but those only get a slight performance hit, while the typical
use case speeds up.

>  | I'll look into that, but so far Alexander's suggestion of just putting
>  | the repo to c:\ will work for me. Perhaps that is something you could
>  | add to tutorial as well - it is not obvious from the beginners docs
>  | that shared repositories don't in any way require you to create an
>  | additional directory layer, or worse, have multiple shared
>  | repositories, one for each project.
>
>  Well, it is mentioned in passing here:
>  http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/latest/en/tutorials/centralized_workflow.html

I was talking about the bazaar user guide:

http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/latest/en/user-guide/index.html#starting-a-project

This creates an unrealistically pessimistic preconception about shared
repos (eek, that will require me to have 2 dir levels as opposed to
just one).