bzr: warning: unknown encoding

Harald Meland harald.meland at usit.uio.no
Tue Mar 11 23:18:38 GMT 2008

[John Arbash Meinel]

> I don't know that the actual value matters a whole lot,

I was under the impression that it does, actually.  You can select any
one of the installed locales, as listed by "locale -a"; but if you try
to use a value that isn't among your installed locales, all bets are
off:

  octarine$ LANG=en.UTF-8 locale > /dev/null
  locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
  locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
  locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
  octarine$ LANG=en_US.UTF-8 locale > /dev/null
  octarine$

> I believe. There are others, of course. (es == spanish, de ==
> german, etc.)

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes for the full
list of the initial part (language).
--