Shallow branches question

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Mon Mar 10 22:39:30 GMT 2008

On 07/03/2008, Nicholas Allen <allen at ableton.com> wrote:
>  The shallow branches feature sounds great! I'm just wondering if this is
>  the same as the "history horizon" thing that was discussed a while ago.
>  Can shallow branches cache some revisions from the remote location or is
>  it an all or nothing approach still to caching remote revisions? It
>  would be nice to have say the last 5000 revisions in a branch but
>  nothing before (so annotate, log etc still give some useful info).
>
>  Can I still do "bzr log" on a shallow branch while not being connected
>  to the remote branch that it is branched from? So bazaar would still
>  show me my local revisions without needing network access.
>
>  Just wondering what the planned capabilities of shallow branching are
>  (in near and long term).

With the current code, we try to access all the repositories, so I
believe it will just fail if the network is not accessible.  However,
it does give us a platform for building that kind of policy in the
future - to say "don't access if it's not reachable", or indeed "don't
try to access anyhow".

--
Martin