Opinion: Versioned files should be visible by default

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Mon Mar 10 21:00:32 GMT 2008

On 11/03/2008, John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:

>  Nathan Johnson wrote:
>  | I'd like to present an opinion for consideration:
>  | Versioned files should be visible (not hidden) by default.
>  | When a file which is hidden changes, the effects can be unexpected for the
>  | user.

That is an interesting suggestion.

I believe Bazaar itself actually never hides files, whatever their
names.  "bzr status" for example will always show that this file has
been modified.

So it's really the shell that is hiding them, and that suggests that
maybe the problem is best addressed in the shell, eg with

  alias ls=ls\ -A

--
Martin