FYI: Emacs develelopment team considers bzr

Sandy Dunlop sandy.dunlop at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 09:40:58 GMT 2008

On 7 Mar 2008, at 08:06, Jari Aalto wrote:

>> Trust me: Emacs has "sensible line ending support", but many Windows
>> tools (or ports) do not. I've had my share of problems with patch,
>> for
>> example. That said, I think many developers prefer no eol conversion,
>> which means making sure the files are added with the right eol on the
>> first place...
>
> The EOL problem is immeadiate, when different OSs are used. Win <=>
> Unix/Linux and Mac is rising, so "many developers prefer no eol
> conversion ..." unfortunately will be starting to be on the margin.

I tried introducing Bazaar at my workplace last year... I think the
main reason it was rejected was that we kept on having problems with
line endings - we do a mixture of Linux/Solaris/Windows/Mac
development, and various text editors on different systems default to
saving with particular line endings instead of intelligently working
out what they should do. We're back to using Subversion for the time
being.

I think if Bazaar had some sort of support for dealing with what such
text editors do with line endings on text files, it would be much
easier to convert people from Subversion.

I was considering adding support for this into my Bazaar GUI app, but
having it in Bazaar itself would be much better.

Regards,
Sandy