efficiency over NFS

Mohit Aron extproxy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 00:05:34 GMT 2008

> Aha so not really like the CVS edit, Subversion lock, VSS or clearcase
> edit-locks at all.

Absolutely not - I shudder at the thought of locks. :)

> So really we'd need at least the following changes...
>
> 1. A flag in the branch/checkout options that tells Bazaar we're only
> interested in scheduled changes by default
> 2. An option on status to ignore the flag in (1).  That is, sometimes
> we need to look for all changes.
> 3. An edit command that adds paths to a scheduled list (and 'add',
> 'remove', 'move' should add paths here too).
> 4. An option on commit to commit scheduled changes (or perhaps this
> could be a default if the flag in (1) is present).
>
> Does this make more sense for what you're after?

Yup, sounds about right. I'd prefer it if I can put something in my
~/.bazaar configuration such that this'll become the default for me and I
don't have to specify it as an option with each command. That is, for
example I don't want to specify a special option with 'bzr commit' each time
that tells it to not consult the filesystem to find out the open files.

Also, with the above setting in ~/.bazaar, I'd prefer if my files under
version control are read-only by default and only made writeable when a 'bzr
edit' is done on them. That'll prevent accidental modifications to files
that bazaar won't consider at the next 'bzr commit'.

- Mohit