putting calendar and address book into version control

Daniel Mark Watkins D.M.Watkins at warwick.ac.uk
Thu Mar 6 09:28:09 GMT 2008

Hi David,

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 12:02:05 +0700
"David Garamond" <davidgaramond at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone putting .ics (vCalendar) and .vcf (vCard) files into version
> control? They are normal text files and thus easily diff-able, but the
> problem is some clients (like KDE's Kontact/Korganizer) touches and/or
> (re)sort entries in the files, making the diff too large and merge
> difficult. Haven't found a more suitable client program, I'm thinking
> of writing some scripts to post-process and sort the entries before
> commit. Or perhaps there are better calendar/addressbook text formats
> out there? Suggestions welcome.
At some point today, I'm going to sit down with Aaron Bentley and we'll
start talking about a plan for per-file pluggable merge algorithms.
There's not really a timeframe on this yet, but once this support
exists then a merge algorithm to remove this problem could be written.

Not especially helpful in the short term, but this will become much
easier in the medium- to long-term.

Dan