[RFC] Automatic Plugin Suggestion

Martin Albisetti argentina at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 13:13:39 GMT 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Robert Collins
<robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
>  I think it solves the huge primary bug of 'bzr bisect' -> 'Bazaar is
>  missing bisect', by turning it into 'you should look as we may well have
>  bisect'.

This would be true if we weren't working on this spec.
But it might be too confusing if the command not found error tells the
user it _might_ be available, and if the plugin _does_ exist, tell
them that it does.

>  I really don't like this because it smells wrong. If we want to more
>  batteries included, include them! Externally available tools is a
>  dynamic list, and shipping a static list that makes suggestions won't
>  perform QA, ensure things integrate well etc etc etc.

I can understand why you feel this way, but if shipped without a DB, I
think we would miss a few fundamental points.

Isn't there a middle ground to this?
Maybe have a main/universe sort of setup?
Have bzr ship with very solid plugins in it's DB, and have a much
broader list downloadable maybe?

Martin