New developer introduction

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Thu Feb 28 07:39:37 GMT 2008

Mark Hammond пишет:
> Greetings!
>
> I'm hoping to be able to contribute some of my development experience to
> this wonderful project.  I've been involved with open source for well over a
> decade, usually revolving somewhat around Windows - I'm committer to the
> Python project and maintain the Python for Windows extensions ('pywin32')
> along with various other bits and pieces, including the Mozilla 'pyxpcom'
> Python bindings.
>
> I've had some discussions with Steve Alexander and Martin Pool about the
> things I could assist with, and they all boil down to better "integration"
> with Windows - and primarily integration with Windows Explorer.  While this
> presumably will mean helping out with the tortoise port, we also want to be
> sure we take advantage of features unique to bzr but which may not fit with
> the tortoise model.  Other fair game would probably include installers and
> anything that generally doesn't work as well as it could on Windows.

Wow! WOW!

It's so COOL. I'm impressed too much.
I'm big fan of your work, especially pywin32.

De-facto I'm windows maintainer of Bazaar. Big contributor on Windows support
is John Meinel. So I think you could ask us specific questions about Windows
support in bzr. Of course other core developers will help too.

I do 2 kind of installers for Windows. For standalone bzr.exe (built with py2exe)
I create installer with Inno Setup. It works reasonable well, but some people
said in the past that msi installer will be better for installing in large
companies with Active Directory.

About my current installers you could read here:
http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrWin32Installer

> Eventually I will know enough about how bzr works to make more specific
> comments, but that will take some time.  In the meantime, I obviously
> welcome all comments which can help enlighten me on the current state of
> things, or even the current state of people's thoughts! I hope to attend the
> bzr sprint at pycon, which I expect will give me a big boost along the
> learning curve, but in the meantime I'll lurk around and try to get my head
> around the current state of the bazaar...

I'd like to help you on this. I consider it an honour works with you.

I have some ideas on tortoise field, so I will try to help here too.