Windows binaries for bzr-svn - don't need python-based installer

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 13:39:58 GMT 2008

On 26/02/2008, Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> wrote:
> Perhaps I should've clarified that a bit. What I meant is that I'm not
> building these binaries and do not make any guarantees that they will be
> available or updated in the future. However, this is also true for, e.g.
> the OpenSuse binaries, so I don't think it's necessary to mention this
> on the wiki.
>
> Kevin has done a great job maintaining the Windows binaries so far and I
> hope he will continue to do so.

Ah, I'm sorry, I hadn't realised that the binaries were built by
Kevin. I'd been working on the assumption that they were produced by
you. Thanks to Kevin for producing them, in that case.

> > Would there be any possibility of having an "official" binary? We poor
> > souls using Windows, without development tools and prerequisites
> > available out of the box, do rely rather heavily on binary
> > distributions...
> What exactly do you mean by "official"? I can not guarantee
> continuity of these binaries, but perhaps Kevin can.

I'm not really sure what I'd expect. The URL for the download is what
surprised me, to be honest, and I doubt Kevin can do much about that
:-)

The section on the Windows binaries sould probably be moved from the
"Requirements" section, to the "Packages" section (and to be honest,
I'd put "Packages" above "Requirements", right after "Releases"). That
might well be all it needs. A note on Kevin's page describing
bzr-svn-0.4.7-svn-1.4.6-setup-0.exe (and confirming what versions of
bzr it works with) might have helped, too.

Sorry if that's not very clear or helpful, there isn't anything
specific I had a problem with - it's just that by the time I got to
the download, I was expecting to have to do a lot of building of my
own bits and pieces, and was bracing myself for more work than I
really wanted. The fact that Kevin's installer just worked for me was
a very pleasant surprise, in the end.

I hope this is of some use, and thanks again.
Paul.