RFC: naming of the 'record' command in the loom plugin

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Feb 25 20:42:21 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 13:52 -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> Well, bzr shelve solved it in a different way. It provides "bzr shelve" and "bzr
> unshelve" and all other operations are sub-commands. "bzr shelf
> list/delete/switch/show/upgrade".
>
> It might be reasonable to use that for looms. I think Robert has already hooked
> into "bzr switch", which takes care of up/down-thread. So "bzr loom create"
> instead of create-thread.
>
> I honestly haven't used it a lot, so I'm not sure what commands are used all the
> time (shelve/unshelve) versus infrequently (shelf list, shelf delete).

Record is used before every time you push (just like commit is used
before every time you push).

> record actually seems the odd-man-out in this case. And "commit-loom" seems to
> be a closer match. Since all the other commands have either 'thread' or 'loom'
> in their names.

Well, switch, merge, push, pull all also operate on looms and don't have
loom in their name.

record wasn't named after darcs record, nor the bzr plugin that adds a
record command. We have a bit of a first-in-first-served issue I guess.

Anyhow, I think the bzr record command should really decorate 'commit'
and be 'commit -i' or something, this would make it discoverable to
users that have it installed (via commit --help).

-Rob