[trac-bzr] trac-admin resync does not populate trac db from bzr repository

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Feb 21 21:31:19 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-21 at 22:12 +0100, Daniel Schömer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am testing trac und the trac-bzr plugin with a few of
> repositories (up to 50 revisions and no more than 30 files each).
>
> Despite the ghost revisions, every thing fits my need very well.
>
> What makes my wonder it the timeline response time. Each time
> I load the timeline into my browser, trac takes around five to
> six seconds to process the request and it consumes lots of CPU
> time. (Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz, 1 GB RAM, Gentoo/Linux)
>
> Since the revisions table in the trac db is empty, it seems to
> me, trac has to walk the logs of all revisions of all branches to
> render the timeline. I tried to resync the revision histroy, but
> that does nothing:
>
>   # trac-admin proj/env/ resync
>   Resyncing repository history...
>   0 revisions cached. Done.
>
> Is this the intended behaviour?

In svn:
 - there are no branches, on a convention of commiting to partial trees
so that it looks like there are branches
corollary:
 - you can see global activity cheaply by logging the one tree (which is
the repository)

In bzr:
 - we have branches, they can be globally distributed and there is no
ordering on the branches most-recent activity except looking at the
content of the branch to determine the commit date of the most recent
commit, or to topologically sort the tip commits.
corollary:
 - determining global activity is non-trivial (and in fact impossible
because I can have a branch on my laptop)

trac is designed around one of the design limitations of svn that make
it unsuitable for distribution; what you are seeing as slow performance
is in fact the impedance mismatch of calculating something that doesn't
intrinsically exist in bzr, because the trac interface wants it.

-Rob