Bundling more plugins into bzrtools

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Thu Feb 14 04:48:50 GMT 2008

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> This consolidation is also helpful to the upstream projects.  For
> instance, if bzr-dbus, bzr-bisect, and bzr-stats tried to solve problem
> #1 individually they would each have to implement build scripts to make
> their checkout into a ready to consume tarball, each have to write
> instructions for installing, and each have to create releases when the
> time came.  If combined, one set of build scripts and one release
> manager could do the job for all of them.

If the upstream plugin maintainers can't merge, for whatever reason,
can't the package maintainer(s) do the merge for them?

I (the author of bisect) wouldn't have a problem if Fedora had a
"bzr-plugins-popular" that lumped dbus, bisect, stats, etc. into a big
package, complete with "original" tarball.  With a little work, you
could even auto-maintain the tarball, with update scripts that do pulls
from each upstream, update the package changelog and version, etc.