[MERGE] Fix for #107593 (bzr unable to ask password with plink)

Dmitry Vasiliev dima at hlabs.spb.ru
Fri Feb 8 20:32:51 GMT 2008

John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> | Alexander Belchenko has voted approve.
> | Status is now: Semi-approved
> | Comment:
> | I think with this patch you also may want to re-enable auto-detection of
> | plink vendor.
> |

> It seems that we still don't allow prompting the user if they need a
> password. All they get is a more appropriate failure.
>
> So I don't think we want to auto-select plink until we can cope with
> that situation.

As I said before I believe it isn't possible to do reliable. The best
solution I've thought of is to run 'plink -v', wrap stdin, stdout,
stderr and wait for known messages. However there is no guarantee that
the messages isn't changed in different plink releases.

CVS and SVN in the same situation also (and even worse because they
don't use paramiko :-) and if you forget to setup key or forget to add
'-batch' option you can wait forever for connection). AFAIK only
TortoiseSVN support password prompting with plink, but only with patched
TortoisePlink.

--
Dmitry Vasiliev <dima at hlabs.spb.ru>
http://hlabs.spb.ru