Our adoption blockers

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Thu Feb 7 14:06:29 GMT 2008

Nicholas Allen пишет:
> I really like Bazaar and use it exclusively for my own personal
> projects. I'm a big advocate of it at work as well and because of that
> we are considering moving to Bazaar at some point but there are certain
> adoption blockers that prevent us from doing this right now. I try to
> keep up with the developments on the mailing list but I still don't have
> a feel for when these adoption blockers may be fixed.

All this items is equal in priority or some of them are more important than others?

> ~  - Nested trees (we need to split our code into projects each one with
> its own branch but all inside one master branch)

> ~  - Integration into windows explorer with all features in TortoiseSVN.

I'm looking into TortoiseBZR codebase recently, and it looks like good alpha.
Based on this code guys from Mercurial build their TortoiseHg, and it
looks VERY good.

TortoiseBZR is somewhat working on Windows 2000,
but I'm thinking about get rid of bzr-gtk dependency.

Unfortunately on my home laptop with Windows XP Home icon overlays does not
working, but I think it's unrelated to TortoiseBZR itself,
and just something wrong with my system.

> ~  - History horizon (ability to have a branch that is somewhere in
> between a lightweight checkout and a full branch)

> ~  - EOL conversions and file encodings.

Sigh.
I'm thinking about dumb approach with simple .bzrprop config-like file
in the working tree, but unfortunately this leads to problems with renames.

> ~  - Ability to handle large files

Hg already beats bzr in this regards.

> ~  - Easy installation of Bazaar with subversion plugin on Windows/Mac OSX
> ~  - Subversion memory leaks fixed

Last two points is already fixed, AICT.
http://home.comcast.net/~klight/bzr/
After installing 0.4.6 version you can update sources of bzr-svn from
Jelmer's branch.