Error on commit of binary file

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Feb 1 17:17:28 GMT 2008

Rickard Lind wrote:
> $ bzr commit BACK1.BOK
> modified Bokföring/BACK1.BOK
> bzr: ERROR: exceptions.UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 35: ordinal not in range(128)

This actually isn't because the file was binary. You are running into a
known bug with older versions of bzr when running in a non-ascii directory.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/84043

> bzr 0.90.0 on python 2.5.1.final.0 (linux2)
> arguments: ['/usr/bin/bzr', 'commit', 'BACK1.BOK']
>
> ** please send this report to bazaar at lists.ubuntu.com

There are 3 possible workarounds

1) Upgrade to Bazaar 1.0 or newer
2) Use:
   bzr commit -m "Commit message"

instead of using the editor

3) Use:

   cd ..
   bzr commit project

So that you are running "bzr" outside of the non-ascii directory, and
just give it the path to the directory you want to commit. I'm not 100%
positive if (3) works, but 1 and 2 should.