[DOC] confusing stuff for new users

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Fri Jan 25 09:51:24 GMT 2008

From an IRC discussion today:

        Another question; on the "Centralized workflow" guide, the
        "Recommended branching" says mainline should go into /project
        and branches should go into /projects/branch (sort of)

This was confusing to the user because they could not understand that
'/project' can be a branch as well (and it was not explicitly spelled
out). I think for clarity that having /project/trunk
and /project/branches/$BRANCH would be better.

Secondly:

        so, an "bzr init-repo --no-trees bzr://server" and then "bzr
        init bzr://server/myproject/trunk" makes /myproject/trunk using
        no-trees as well?

I think the confusion here is about the difference between 'getting a
branch setup' and 'setting up group workflow'. We should emphasis a
learning curve:
1) Get your code into bzr - no repository, local disk only
2) Working with branches - push/pull/local disk and network explained
3) Setting up shared workspaces and so on

The problem is I think that in many other systems you have to start with
3) above before you can do 1 or 2 above. And as we're flexible here, we
should say we are and describe the order of things to learn (and that it
is cheap to change layouts once you have learnt).

-Rob